Write a comment
Peruvian work visa information

Peruvian Work Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas


Foreigners who have a correctly signed and valid work contract with a duration of at least 12 months with a Peruvian company that was approved by the Peruvian Labor Ministry can apply for a resident work visa at the immigration authority "Migraciones" in Peru.

While the actual application for the work visa is basically a simple and straightforward process, at least if you are familiar with Peruvian bureaucracy, it is only the last step. The tricky part, especially when you aren’t working for a big international company, is the necessary groundwork you have to do before being able to apply for the work visa.

Our article "Finding a job and working legally in Peru" already describes in detail where and how to find work in Peru, what jobs are in demand, the legal background for employing foreigners and the application for jobs in Peru.

Signing a work contract with a Peruvian company

After finding a Peruvian company that is willing to employ you and sponsor your work visa, the most important step of the process is the work contract.

If you sign a work contract with a Peruvian company while still being abroad, make sure to have it legalized by the Peruvian consulate before setting out for Peru. If the contract isn’t in Spanish, it has to be translated by an official translator once you are in the country.

If you are already in Peru on a tourist visa, you need a so called "permiso para firmar contratos" (a special permission to sign contracts) before you can legally sign the contract. Since January 2018 this can be easily done online. Our article "Permit to sign contacts in Peru" explains how it works and what you need.

As soon you have the permission, you can legally sign the work contract.

Approval of work contact by the Peruvian Labor Ministry

Once the contract is correctly signed, it has to be approved by the Peruvian Labor Ministry. Exempted are contracts with citizens of Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador and Spain that only have to be sent to the ministry, but not approved by them.

Foreigners married to a Peruvian that already have a Peruvian family visa and foreigners with an "inmigrante" status are so called “exonerated workers” as well. Their work contract doesn’t require the approval of the Ministry of Labor and some employment regulations, such as a Peruvian company is only allowed to have 20% of foreigners on their payroll and pay all foreign workers in the company not more than 30% of the total wages, don’t apply.

Even though the procedure has been simplified over the past year, the approval of the contract by the Labor Ministry sometimes can be tricky. Usually the process should only take a week, but much longer waiting times have been reported.

According to Peruvian law the company (mostly the company’s lawyer) has to support the future foreign employee with all the red tape. As the Peruvian employer, who sponsors your visa, has to prove the professional competence and occupational qualification of his future foreign employee it is advisable to bring work related certificates, decrees, titles, etc. with you that need an Apostille (or have to be legalized in your home country by the Peruvian consulate and later by the Peruvian Foreign Ministry) and then translated by an official translator.

Detailed information and necessary form letters can be found on the webpage of the Peruvian Labor Ministry Mintra.

Only when the work contract is approved by the Labor Ministry you can apply for a work visa at the Peruvian immigration office "Migraciones".

Requirements for a Peruvian work visa

The requirements for applying for a Peruvian work visa include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Application form F-004 (printed out when making the appointment)
  • Receipt from the Banco de la Nacion (code 01814) for paid administrative procedure (according to the Migraciones website S/.117.60 in 2017)
  • Receipt from the Banco de la Nacion for paid application fee for changing to a resident visa (according to the Migraciones website US$ 200 in 2017) (*)
  • Passport and copy of the pages with the personal information and entry stamp
  • Legally signed and by Labor Ministry approved work contract with a duration of at least 12 months
  • SUNAT (Peruvian tax authority) registration including RUC (Peruvian tax number) showing the employing company is active
  • Company registration of the employing company showing the legal representative
  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional
  • Appointment confirmation

(*) As the Peruvian Ministry of Interior still hasn’t issued the necessary implementary regulations and procedures for the new immigration law that went into effect in March 2017, it's not clear if this fee still has to be paid. If so, then only when the visa application is approved.

As visa requirements and the application process can change quickly without prior notice, we highly recommend to confirm current visa regulations and procedures with the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones.

Applying for a work visa in Peru

Once the groundwork is done and all documents are on hand, the actual application for a work visa (or correctly the change of your immigration status from for example tourist to worker) is simple and straight forward, but sometimes frustrating and time consuming. Usually the process takes about 30 days, but waiting times of 2 months are nothing uncommon. Be aware that at the time of your visa application your tourist visa still has to be valid.

Even though after Peruvian law the company employing you has to support you and usually the company’s lawyers will help with or handle all the red tape involved, it might be good to know the application process.

First the visa application fee has to be paid for the Migraciones administrative procedure F-4 under code 01814 (cambio de calidad migratoria) at any Banco de la Nacion branch or on  pagalo.pe.

You can find detailed explanations about how to pay, what you have to do and be aware of, how to register on the online payment platform and how to find the correct fee you have to pay, in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

As you are already at it, pay as well the fee for the Interpol clearance. You find the corresponding code 08141 Ficha de Canje Internacional (Interpol) on pagalo.pe under Policia Nacional del Peru.

Make an appointment at Interpol

Once all payments are done, best make first an appointment at Interpol to apply for the so called Ficha de canje internacional.

Since mid-April 2018 this can be done online on the Interpol website. Enter your personal data and information of your payment receipt as required. Check that all your information is correct and there are no spelling mistakes. Best print the filled in form. Choose a time and date. Be aware that all foreigners except Venezuelans are processed at the Interpol office in Surco (Comisaria de Monterrico). Print the confirmation.

Making an appointment to apply for a work visa

Then make an appointment on the website of the Peruvian immigration office "Migraciones" to apply for your work visa (or correctly to change your immigration status from for example tourist to worker). Please be aware that this only applies to an application in Lima at the moment.

Click under "de calidad migratoria" on "residente" and choose on the left menu under "trabajadores" the point "trabajador". You now get a list with documents you need for your application. By clicking on the little squares confirm that you have the necessary documents you have to bring with you to the appointment. Confirm as well the form F-004; on the next page you will have to fill it out and print it. Check as well the clearance from Interpol (ficha de canje internacional-Interpol); when confirming your actual appointment later you have to coordinate your Interpol and Migraciones appointments, so that you have the ficha in hand at the day of your appointment for your visa application at Migraciones.. Click on "siguiente".

On the next page fill in the form. Make sure to enter your personal data exactly as in your passport. Be prepared that this might cause some inconsistencies, especially for married women that choose to take her husband's surname.

While in North America or Europe you have your father's or mother’s surname or both or even your husband's / wife's surname, in Peru the surname of a person is composed of the "apellido paterno" (surname of the father) and the "apellido materno" (surname of the mother); married women in Peru only add a "de and husband’s surname" to their double surname.

Even though not really correct, don’t enter your father’s and mother’s surname in the spaces on the form for the "apellido paterno" and "apellido materno", but your surname(s) as in your passport! If you have one surname write it in the "apellido paterno" space, if you have two surnames, write the first one under "apellido paterno" and the second under "apellido materno", even though these are not your father’s and mother’s names.

Before you, already numerous people (me included) argued with the Peruvian immigration authority about these discrepancies without success. If the name(s) on the form don’t match the name(s) in your passport the only result is either a rejection of your visa application or the recommendation to change the surname in your passport to meet the Peruvian naming regulations. You don’t want to go there.

After having filled in the online form, click on the point 2.  Here you can enter a legal representative, such as a company lawyer or a so-called tramitador. As since mid-March 2018 you have to apply in person (see below), there is actually no need for it anymore and you can leave the spaces empty. Then click on "siguiente".

You now see the form F-004 filled in with your personal data. Check if your information is correct, names as in your passport and no spelling mistakes. If so, print the form and keep it safe. Only then click on "siguiente".

On the next page you have to enter the information of the "Banco de la Nacion" payment receipt as indicated.

Then choose a date for your appointment on the next page. Best choose a date that is about 10 days after your Interpol appointment, so you can be sure to have the Interpol ficha in hand at the day of your appointment for your visa application. Print the confirmation of the appointment. Usually you can get an appointment within 2 or 3 weeks, but waiting times may vary depending on the current workload.

Visit Interpol

The Interpol office in Surco is located on Av. Manuel Olguin block 6 (Comisaria de Monterrico).

On the day of your Interpol appointment arrive at the office 15 to 30 minutes early with all required documents.

The requirements include:

  • Application form (the one with your data you hopefully printed when making the appointment)
  • Passport
  • Copy of the passport page with the personal information and photo
  • Copy of the passport page with the Peruvian entry stamp
  • Passport photos (taken in the office)
  • Receipt for the Interpol clearance from any Banco de la Nacion branch (code 08141; fee S/ 80.50)
  • Envelope, office size
  • If you are married to a Peruvian: a recent copy of your marriage certificate and copy of the spouse’s DNI
  • If you are a US American national: an international money order, a so called “Giro sobre el exterior” for the amount of US$ 18.00, made out to "The Treasury of the USA" (you get it at Scotiabank or BCP)
  • If you are a Canadian national: an international money order, a so called "Giro sobre el exterior" for the amount of CAD$ 26,75, made out to "The Receiver General for Canada"
  • If you are an Australian national: an international money order, a so called "Giro sobre el exterior" for the amount of AU$ 103.00, made out to "The Australian Federal Police"

Interpol asks to please arrange the documents in this order (but this order changes frequently).

As regulations may change quickly without prior notice and depend on your nationality/ procedures in your home country, we highly recommend to confirm above mentioned requirements and amounts with the Interpol office in Lima or online shortly before your visit.

A visit to Interpol in Lima to get the "Ficha de Canje Internacional" is contrary to popular opinion easy though time-consuming, but with the introduction of appointments in mid-April 2018 not so bad anymore. Once there, just wait your turn and then hand in your documents. Additionally passport photos are taken (additional fee of about S/. 10), you are fingerprinted, and your teeth are examined.

The Interpol check usually takes about 5 to 7 working days; if you traveled to Lima from the provinces just for the "ficha", tell them (some sort of proof for example bus or flight ticket is necessary) and they usually have the results ready the next one or two days. Be aware that the clearance has to be picked up. Make a copy of it for yourself.

Depending on your nationality an additional check from the federal police body of your home country (for example the FBI) is required. For this above mentioned international money order is needed. According to the Interpol office in Lima this check has nothing to do with issuing the "ficha" necessary for Migraciones and the approval of your visa; if something serious comes up, your record is tagged and you might be detained as soon as you leave the country.

Applying for your work visa at "Migraciones"

In mid-March 2018 the procedure to apply for a visa - correctly to change the immigration status - at Migraciones, for now only in Lima, was simplified and now is strictly personal (no need for lawyers or tramitadores). The applicant now has to visit Migraciones only 2 times, but in person: the first time to apply and have the biometric data (fingerprints and photo)  taken and the second time to pick up the carné, the foreigner ID.

On the day of your appointment arrive at Migraciones 30 minutes early with all required documents (make copies of everything for yourself). As the procedures differ from immigration office to immigration office here just a general explanation for Lima. If at one point you don’t know where to go ask the security personnel at the entrance where you usually have to show your passport and your confirmation of the appointment, or inside the building. In general they are friendly and helpful. Expect to be seated somewhere and to have to wait until you are allowed to proceed to the counters.

Once there present all required documents. If everything is in order, your application is accepted. You are asked to proceed to the counter where your biometric data (fingerprints and photo) is taken. 

When you are finished you are given access to an email box and handed a piece of paper with your case number (expediente no.). Please read the instructions and fine print on the Migraciones paper carefully and keep it safe! Be aware that if you need to travel outside the country while your visa application is still in process, you have to apply for a special travel permit before you leave the country, otherwise your application is null and void.

What are the next steps to receive my work visa?

Usually the processing time is around 3 to 4 weeks, but the process can take as well up to 60 days depending on the workload. As soon as your work visa is approved, you are notified via email.

Once you received the e-mail that your work visa was approved, pay at any Banco de la Nacion branch or on pagalo.pe for the Migraciones administrative procedure F-7a Carnet extranjeria under code 01873 "inscripcion en el registro central de extranjería y emision del carné de extranjería" (registration in the foreign database and issuing of the foreigner ID) S/ 49.90.

Then visit the Migraciones website to do the Online Registration. Click on “Generar Inscripción en Linea” and fill in the form as indicated. Check that all information is correct. On the next page enter the data from your payment receipt. At the end the system should allow you to make an appointment to pick up your carné.

As the procedure was only introduced a few weeks ago, you might get a link to make an appointment in your e-mail notification or you even might be able to pick your carné up without an appointment.

Print the confirmation of your registration!

Then visit Migraciones on the day of your appointment and take all the paperwork, receipts, confirmations, your passport etc. with you. After checking all your personal data and documents once again, you are handed your Carné.

Congratulations! You made it!

Only now you are allowed to start working. The work visa is bound to the Peruvian company that sponsored the visa. It is valid for one year and then can be extended.

Labor Regulations Peru
Indefinite-term employment contracts are the rule of thumb for hiring in Peru. Without prejudice to the foregoing, fixed-term and part-time employm...

Peruvian Work Visa - Important Info / Disclaimer

We from Peru Telegraph are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian embassy or consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should only give you general guidelines of Peruvian procedures. As regulations, requirements and practices can change without prior notice, all information is subject to change! Therefore we recommend checking the current regulations at the nearest Peruvian embassy or consulate or if you are already in Peru with Migraciones!

Series - Peruvian Visas

Peruvian Tourist Visa
When planning a trip to Peru, eventually bureaucratic and visa related matters com...
Part 1
Peruvian Student Visa
Students planning to study at a Peruvian educational institution or wanting to do ...
Part 2
Peruvian Volunteer Visa
Peru has no specific visa for volunteers. Travelers planning to volunteer in Peru ...
Part 3
Business Visa for Peru
Regardless of the nationality, anyone travelling for a short duration to Peru for ...
Part 4
Temporary Work Visa for Peru
If a foreign company posts one of its employees for a limited period (max. 1 year)...
Part 5
Peruvian Work Visa
Foreigners who have a correctly signed and valid work contract with a duration of ...
Part 6
Peruvian Family Visa
Some family members of Peruvian nationals and foreigners with a resident status in...
Part 7
Peruvian Retirement Visa
Retirees and pensioners who receive a state or private pension or other benefits (...
Part 8
Say something here...
symbols left.
You are a guest
or post as a guest
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.

Be the first to comment.