1 Comment
Since May 2018 tourist visa can be extended in Peru again

Tourist Visa extension in Peru

How to extend your tourist visa in Peru

9095   0   1   0   0  
Sunflower Updated

For years it wasn’t possible to extend your tourist visa / "temporary authorization to enter as a tourist" once you entered Peru. This changed in May 2018.

Since May 15, 2018 tourists who got less than the maximum allowed 183 days in a 365 days period when entering Peru now can extend their tourist visa - correctly their "temporary authorization to enter as a tourist" - while in Peru quick and easy online.

Requirements for extending a tourist visa in Peru

  • Only nationals who don’t have to apply for an actual tourist visa at a Peruvian consulate abroad, but get a so-called "temporary authorization to enter as a tourist" upon arrival can apply for the extension
  • Only those visitors with a still valid tourist visa (correctly “temporary authorization to enter as a tourist") can apply for the extension; when the visa is already expired the process doesn’t work.
  • The tourist visa (correctly the "temporary authorization to enter as a tourist") can only be extended for up to 90 days and up to the maximum allowed 183 days within a 365 days period – so if you only got 30 days when you entered Peru, you can only get an additional 90 days. If you want to stay longer than that you have to do an Interpol clearance and then can extend up to the max. 183 days in person at any Migraciones office. If you got 120 days when you entered Peru, you can only extend your tourist visa for 63 days as then you stay the maximum allowed 183 days within a 365 days period.
  • Be aware that for nationals of EU member states the maximum allowed time is 90 days within a 183 days period. Right now it’s not clear if they as well can extend their visa to 183 days or just the max. 90 days.
  • The passport of the applicant has to be be valid

How to apply for a tourist visa extension in Peru online

To apply for the extension of your tourist visa, first pay the fee of S/ 11.70 for the Migraciones administrative procedure “F-7 Prórroga de Permanencia” under code 01857 at any Banco de la Nacion branch or on pagalo.pe.

You can find detailed explanations about how to pay, what you have to do and be aware of, how to register on the online payment platform and how to find the correct fee you have to pay, in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

Then enter the Migraciones website under “Prórroga de Permanencia en Línea – PRPL” and click on “Generar Prorroga”. Fill in the form.

The website is in Spanish only, so here an explanation of all fields in English:

  • Documento (document): Choose the document with which you entered the country from the drop-down menu, most probably pasaporte (passport)
  • Número de Documento (document number): Enter the number of the document with which you entered Peru, most probably your passport number.
  • Nacionalidad (nationality): Select your nationality from the drop-down menu. All country names are in Spanish, so if you are from the US, choose EE.UU (Estados Unidos)
  • Primer Apellido (first surname): Enter your (first) last name as in your passport.
  • Segundo Apellido (second surname): If you have a second surname, enter it here, otherwise leave the field blank.
  • Nombres (names): Enter your first name(s) as in your passport.
  • Fecha de Nacimiento (date of birth): Enter your date of birth.
  • E-mail: Enter your email address. Make sure you have access to it as Migraciones will send notifications to it.
  • Días Prorroga Solicitados (requested extension days): Enter here the number of days you wish to extend your stay in Peru. Remember that you can only apply for up to a maximum of 90 days and up to the total maximum allowed 183 days within a 365 days period.

Check again if all details you entered are correct, then enter the captcha and click on “continuar”.

If you are lucky, everything works smoothly, and you end up on the next page.

If not, one of the many error messages appear on your screen. Most common messages include that the system couldn’t find your data record, that the requested extension days aren’t valid and that the systems couldn’t find the bank receipt.

If the system couldn’t find your data record, check again for a typo on your part. If everything is correct, check your so-called Tam Virtual, which shows your personal information as entered into the system by the immigrations officer when you entered Peru. Probably there is a discrepancy (the officer only entered one given name for example or misspelled your last name). If so, change your information on the tourist visa extension form accordingly. In case you can’t even get access to the TAM Virtual as the system already rejects you on the first page, there is something truly wrong. Probably a by the immigration officer accidentally wrong entered nationality or a transposed passport number might cause the problem. So, your only option is to go to the nearest Migraciones office, get the mess cleaned up and apply for your tourist visa extension in person.

Problems with the number of requested extension days are super common. Even though the max is 90 days, the system often won’t except it. Try 89 days and it might work. Still no success, try any other amount of days. Seems the system loves 59 days. So, over all the system is still sensitive and inscrutable. If nothing works, your last option is to go to the nearest Migraciones office and apply for your tourist visa extension in person.

Anyway, if you were lucky or could conquer the obstacles of the system, on the next page you are asked to enter some data from your bank receipt. You see a receipt from the Banco de la Nacion on which a number (número), the date (fecha) and a verification code (código de verficación) is highlighted. This shown receipt resembles the deposit slip you received when having paid in person at any branch of the Banco de la Nacion. So, entering the information is simple.

If you paid online on the pagalo.pe website, the receipt is sent to your e-mail and the necessary number, date and verification code aren’t obvious. You find them on the bottom left of the first page above the disclaimer. The “número” has 6 digits, the “Código de verificación” 7 digits (can be numbers and letters) and the date should be obvious. Just enter the details accordingly and the extension of your tourist visa should be done.

If an error pops up that the system couldn’t find the information of your payment, you either were to quick – the banking system and the Migraciones system haven’t synced yet, give it a little bit more time and try again – or somewhere else something went wrong – if you paid at a Banco de la Nacion branch the teller hasn’t entered your passport number for example. If you can’t get the system to accept your payment over a few hours, max. a day, no way around paying the nearest Migraciones a visit and do the extension there.

Once you entered all data as requested and no error messages appear, your application is accepted and you get an administration procedure number (tramite no.) and date of application. Keep these safe.

The approval process usually takes about 3 to 5 working days. If in doubt, check under “Consultar Prorroga” what's going on.

Be aware that the system is still new and the tiniest detail will give you error messages. Nevertheless over the past months the situation improved and more and more people do the extension of their tourist visa online without any problems in minutes (instead of hours at Migraciones).
Say something here...
symbols left.
You are a guest ( Sign Up ? )
or post as a guest
People in conversation:
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Chris · 9 months ago
    Visa extension

    I just extended my visa by following the instructions, I was issued 30 days on arrival and I kept getting errors when trying to get a 90 day extension. Finally I got approved when I had all details correct and extended for 59 days, not even 60. If you keep getting error messages, keep double checking all information you input on the forms, I had sooo many errors and just kept trying and kept changing numbers of days for extension and finally was approved for a 59 day extension. Hope this helps someone, it was kind of a nightmare for me.When I first put in 90 days for the extension it said i had to go to my nearest immigration office and bring forms.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • PeruTelegaph
      · 9 months ago
      Hello Chris, thank you so much for giving us feedback on the new visa extension procedure in Peru. So it seems the system doesn't work flawlessly; it might take some time until all the "teething troubles" you had to conquer, are eliminated. The only thing that really makes me wonder is why you only could extend your visa up to 89 days. Are you a EU national or other national that only can stay in Peru on a tourist visa 90 days within a 183 days period? And by the way, if the system doesn't work you can always pay Migraciones a visit and do the extension in person. Thanks again! Saludos