Pan American Games Lima 2019
Date: Friday, 26 July 2019 - Sunday, 11 August 2019
For the first time the Pan American Games, a major sporting event comparable to the Summer Olympic Games but restricted to the Americas, are held in Lima, Peru from July 26 to August 11, 2019.
The XVIII (18th) Pan American Games, also known as the 2019 Pan Am Games or Lima 2019, is the largest sporting event ever hosted in the country.
During the Pan American Games, which take place every four years in the year before the Summer Olympic Games, about 6700 athletes from 41 nations of the Americas compete in 39 sports and 62 disciplines.
Athletes from all 41 nations who are members of the Pan American Sports Organization are expected to compete.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Peru (Host)
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States
- Virgin Islands
Pan American Games 2019 Sports
Athletes compete in the following sports:
- Aquatics – Swimming, Water Polo, Artistic Swimming, Diving, Open Water
- Basque pelota
- Beach volleyball
- BMX Cycling
- Body Building
- Bowling Boxing
- Field Hockey
- Handball - Male
- Modern Pentathlon - fencing, swimming, equestrian, running, and shooting
- Mountain Biking
- Road Cycling
- Roller Sports
- Rugby 7
- Table tennis
- Triathlon - swimming, cycling and running
- Water Ski
Pan American Games Lima 2019 - Calendar of Activities
Venues of the Pan American Games 2019 in Lima
The different sporting events are held at various venues in Lima and other municipalities in the surrounding region, with most taking place at
- VIDENA - Villa Deportiva Nacional Videna in San Luis (Athletics, Swimming, Diving, Artistic swimming, Bowling, Handball, Judo, Squash, Badminton, Roller sports, Table tennis, Cycling track)
- Pan American Park in Villa María del Triunfo (Archery, Baseball, Field Hockey, Basque Pelota, Rugby 7, Softball, Water Polo)
- Sports Village of Callao - Villa Deportiva Regional del Callao (Boxing, Wrestling, Taekwondo)
- Military School of Chorrillos - Escuela Militar de Chorrilos (Body Building, Weightlifting, Modern pentathlon, Fencing, Racquetball)
- Sports complex in San Miguel (BMX, skateboarding, Roller sports speed, Beach Volleyball)
Venues outside Lima include Laguna Bujama, Mala (Open wáter swimming, Water skiing); Rio Cañete, Lunahuana (Canoeing slalom); Yacht Club Peruano, Paracas (Sailing); TBD, Paracas (Canoeing sprint, Rowing), Punta Rocas, Punta Negra (Surfing).
The opening and closing ceremony will be held at the Estadio Nacional del Peru in Lima.
The Athletes Village is located in Lima’s district Villa El Salvador. The newly build complex consists of seven 20-storey high-rises with 1,600 units, green and leisure areas. The expected 9000 athletes and team officials will find a modern home away from home.
ParaPan American Games 2019
12 days after the closing ceremony of the 2019 Pan American Games, the ParaPan American Games, the major sporting event for athletes with disabilities in the Americas is held as well in Lima.
Find more info in our article "ParaPan American Games in Lima 2019"
- From Friday, 26 July 2019 to Sunday, 11 August 2019