Since 2010 Wikimedia, the movement behind the free internet encyclopedia Wikipedia, organizes the public photo competition around cultural heritage monuments “Wiki Loves Monuments”. And for the 3rd year now Peru is one of the 40 countries all over the world that participates.
In 2010 Wiki Loves Monuments was organized for the first time in the Netherlands with a huge success and was followed by a Europe-wide 2011 edition. Ever since 2012 the biggest photo competition of the world is organized annually each September in countries across the globe.
So, if you want to participate, hurry up, as tomorrow is the last day to upload pictures for the 2018 competition.
The aim of the contest is to ask the general public - readers and users of Wikipedia, photographers, hobbyists, etc. - to take pictures of cultural heritage monuments and upload them to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
As Wikimedia puts it, “Cultural heritage is an important part of the knowledge Wikipedia collects and disseminates. Everybody can contribute images as well as write articles. An image is worth a thousand words, in every language at once and local enthusiasts can (re)discover the cultural, historical, or scientific significance of their neighborhood.”
In all participation countries, a national photo contest is organized with national monuments, partners, rules, events and winners.
Every national contest then is able to nominate some of their winning pictures for the international contest. These nominated pictures are judged by the international jury, which then awards extra prizes to the best images from all participating countries.
How to participate in the Wiki Loves Monuments Peru 2018?
- Choose one or more cultural sites from the list of monuments or cultural / archeological patrimony sorted by regions and write down the ID number
- Take beautiful pictures and choose the best
- Write a short description for each photo you want to upload incl. the ID number, name of the site or monument and date when the photo was taken.
- If you don’t already have a Wikimedia Commons account, create one
- Then lock into your account and upload your picture(s) with description between September 1st and 30th
Be aware that the picture(s) have to
- Be self-taken and self-uploaded
- Be uploaded only in September 2018
- Be freely licensed
- Contain the monuments ID number, name of the site, short description, date when the picture was taken
Source: Wikimedia / Wikipedia