Last Friday World Travel Awards (WTA) announced its 2016 winners at its 23nd annual awards ceremony in the Maldives. Known as the „Oscar of the Travel Industry" the World Travel Awards acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence in the tourism industry already since 1993. And while Peru could defend its title as World Leading Culinary Destination on a global level, the country scored as well high on the South America level.
Next to being awarded the title World Leading Culinary Destination 2016, Peru as well is South America's Leading Culinary Destination 2016.
Lima, the Peruvian capital, is South America’s Leading Meetings & Conference Destination 2016. And PromPeru, the Peruvian Commission for the Promotion of Export and Tourism, known for their creative and highly successful advertisement campaign, received the title South America’s Leading Tourist Board 2016.
Additionally, the following hotels were awarded:
- South America's Leading Airport Hotel: Ramada Costa del Sol in Callao
- South America's Leading Beach Destination: Mancora in northern Peru
- South America's Leading Business Hotel: Swissotel in Lima
- South America's Leading Hotel: Swissotel in Lima
- South America's Leading Casino Resort: Delfines Hotel & Casino in Lima
- South America's Leading Design Hotel: Hotel B, in Lima
- South America's Leading Heritage Hotel: JW Mariott El Convento in Cusco
- South America's Leading Resort: Hotel Paracas, A Luxury Collection Resort in Paracas
- South America's Most Romantic Resort: Belmont Miraflores Park in Lima