Reto de los 7 Templos – 7 Churches Visitation Challenge in Lima 2019
Date: Friday, 19 April 2019 08:00 AM
On Good Friday 2019 the “Reto de los 7 Templos”, a different approach to the Roman Catholic tradition of the 7 Churches Visitation on Holy Thursday, returns to Lima, this year already in its 6th edition.
Usually during the Seven Churches Visitation, the faithful visit seven (sometimes 14) churches on the evening of Maundy Thursday to pray before the Blessed Sacrament in each church.
In Lima, this old tradition is kept alive by sharing a different Good Friday morning as friends, runners and believers. The 7 Churches Challenge consists of running / jogging about 24 km through Lima visiting 7 iconic churches in the Peruvian capital along the way. The stops at the churches as well serve as time to rest und interact.
The Reto de los 7 Templos isn’t a competitive race, but 100% recreational and done at a relaxed pace. Next to runners as well cyclists, skateboarders and inline skaters are more than welcome to join the fun.
Visited churches and distances
All participants meet at the Plaza Mayor in Lima’s city center in front of the Cathedral.
- From Lima’s Cathedral to San José in Jesús María (4.9 km)
- From San José to San Francisco in San Borja (7.4 km)
- From San Francisco to Virgen del Pilar in San Isidro (5.5 km)
- From Virgen del Pilar to Santa María Reina in Miraflores (1.5 km)
- From Santa María Reina to Medalla Milagrosa in Miraflores (2.1 km)
- From Medalla Milagrosa to Santa Rita de Casia in Surco (2.9 km)
- Friday, 19 April 2019 08:00 AM